Friday 11 November 2011

Lest we forget!


This was posted today by Ian Young on his bonsai eejit blog.

I am sure he won't mind me reposting this here. You can see the original post by clicking on the link below the title.


Remember Them….

It’s the 11th Hour of the 11th day of the 11th month of the 11th year.
A special moment in time and history. Lets all remember those on all sides who have lost loved ones in War and conflict.
The following photographs were taken during my Tour of the First World War Battlefields in September 2010. One of the most sobering weeks of my life seeing loss of life on such an incomprehensible scale.
Photographs show memorials to British, Irish, German, Canadian, American, Austrian, French soldiers. And as the headstone says, Sacrificed to the fallacy that War can end War.
Flanders Poppy
True words on a grave of an Irish soldier bearing my family name and he even shared my birthday. He is however no relation. It was a special moment finding and reading this.
The Ulster Tower
German Memorial
Irish Peace Tower
The Somme where the 36th Ulster Division suffered heavy losses Let us remember them.

No comments:

Post a Comment